Tuesday 19 October 2010

Large format and paper negative

Today I have used a modern version of Fox Talbot’s 1841 “Calotype” process. I used a photographic paper and exposed it directly in a large format camera. The paper was then processed to a negative paper and by doing a contact print get a positive image. This means that the image is as big as the negative which gives an outstanding result.

I used a Sinar P camera (Large format) with a 10x8 back. I'm absolute amazed what you can do with this camera when it comes to depth and field and also to get this large paper negative. I didn't use film as it is far too expensive to play around with. Instead I was using B&W photo paper that I just placed were the film should be. Hopefully I will be able to use film later. I found it quick and easy to just take a few photographs and then just go into the darkroom and develop the negative paper. I used ILFORD MULTIGRADE IV RC DeLuxe paper as that should be the best to use regarding to some research on Internet.

Todays outcome

This portrait of Ewa was taken in a studio. I only used a small soft box and a large reflector.
It was made positive by making a contact print through placing the negative paper above a photo paper and an enlarger was used for the exposure. 


With this image the negative paper was scanned and then inverted in Photoshop. Note that a more cold tone appeared. Of course this could be sorted in Photoshop with a warming filter.


This photograph was also made positive by scanning the negative paper. However I have put a warming filter on in Photoshop. 


This is a photograph of Richard which is a scanned paper negative. I'm very impressed with the narrow depth and field that can be achieved with the camera. 


No comments:

Post a Comment